Followers

Sunday 25 September 2022

INTAAS - Wood/Trees





Come along and join us at International Art and Soul with our challenge theme of 'Wood/Trees' set by Mimi.

I'm sure you've probably seen a couple of my previous cards with these words written but they are so beautiful and thoughtful that I had to feature them again. I'll also tell you why they are so special to me.

When I was 15 I went on holiday with my cousin Jenny, her husband David and their daughter Joan to a cottage miles out into the country. No other houses in sight and very peaceful. One evening we were going to a pub - I'm not sure if David knew the owner but I know that Joan, who was 13, and I played in the hayloft of the pub until it was getting dark. When we went inside the pub for a drink and some crisps David was asked if he would sing for the customers. (I didn't know that David could sing). He sang these words which I had never heard before and I can remember thinking that it was beautiful. The customers and staff thought so too and David was given a roaring ovation when he sat down. Many years later my husband, sons and I went on our first visit to the USA and stayed with friends in North Carolina. Another couple of friends picked us up to go out for the day and we went to a forest where we saw the most fantastic trees. I didn't know the name but on our walk round this beautiful place there was a plaque with the name of the Joyce Kilmer area and underneath the words of his poem 'Trees'. I read it and got goosebumps because I realised that these were the words that David had sung all those years before. Since then I've noted that Paul Robeson actually sang this song and recorded it and I've listened to it a few times since. I still think that David's version was perfect and is such a happy memory for me. Although I always enjoyed Paul Robeson, from my memory David sang it beautifully. 

Now on to my card details.

Once again a 7x7 card blank by Crafts UK. Dark brown card from Papermill as the base with a sheet of wood patterned in a book by Papercraft Inspirations. I printed the words on my computer and then backed it with brown card to set at the top left. I then cut a rectangle of the same brown card, overlapping it slightly on the words card, before affixing a small wooden tree by SnipArt plus a brass tree charm, both by Craft Box UK. 

I'm entering my card into the following challenges:

Moving Along with the Times - Trees and/or Leaves
The Male Room - Song Title
Word Art Wednesday - Anything Goes
Path of Positivity - Anything Goes
Gem of aa Craft - Anything Goes






I'm entering my card into the following challenges:

6 comments:

  1. Had to stop by and read your story, it makes the beautiful words of the tree song even more fabulous. I am so glad this challenge brought back lots of happy memories while you created your stunning card. Love and hugs Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truly beautiful piece of art for the challenge. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for joining The Male Room challenge. What a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous card
    Thank you for entering our Anything Goes Challenge atThrough The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge. Good luck Ginny
    My Bl og As I do Rodos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hazel,
    Your story of your memeories is very moving.
    So glad this card and the making brought back such happy child hood memeries.
    Your card is wonderful and that poem is so beautiful.
    Love your fab design and all the elemnts used are so fantastic.
    Thank you for joining the MAWTT Challenge.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card with the woodboard paper and tree. Your wonderful story prompted me to research Paul Robeson and the lovely song. Wow, what a voice this man had! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Path of Positivity! ~Katrina

    ReplyDelete