Followers

Sunday 16 August 2020

INTAAS - Inspired by a Book





Come and join us at International Art and Soul in our challenge theme of 'Inspired by a Book'.

I did wonder if the card was to be inspired by a book or whether it was me who had been inspired by a book. I chose to make a card that shows a book that always inspires me. lol I love poetry and have quite a few poetry books but I go back time and time again to this one. The list on the top right of the photo shows some of the poems that are in this book. The lower list shows poems that I have loved and recited for many years. Jennie Lee is a poem that my mother taught me when I was very young. I've never met anyone else who knows it, apart from my cousins who were taught it by their father, my mother's brother. It was written during the reign of Queen Victoria but we have no idea who wrote it and I've not been able to trace it in any book. If I have trouble getting to sleep at night instead of counting sheep I recite the poems in the lower list plus Vespers. By the time I'm on to the fifth or sixth poem I'm asleep. I'd better stop waffling and get on to the details of my card.

It's a 7x7 card by Craft UK. The red card is by Papermill and the teal foundation card is by Sue Wilson. After mounting the red on to the teal I cut out a die in the teal, I think the die may be a Sue Wilson die but I'm not 100% sure. The fancy border was added to the lower section of the mat. I photographed my book and then shrunk it down to a suitable size before fixing to a teal mat. I typed the list of poems and then cut them with two Spellbinder dies before setting at an angle to the right of the photo. I added Mei Flower turquoise pearls to each list. The final touch was an Inspire charm by Craft Box that was set to the top left, tied with a little string of turquoise beads, also by Craft Box.

I'm entering my card into the following challenges:

Gem of a Challenge: Anything Goes
Crafty Creations - Anything Goes
Lemon Shortbread - Anything Goes
Try  it on Tuesday - Words or Numbers
Dragonfly Dreams - Anything Goes
A Perfect Time to Craft - Anything Goes
Crafts Galore Encore - Anything Goes
Love to Craft - Anything Goes



11 comments:

  1. Hi Hazel this is a gorgeous card. I love it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Take care. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel this is a great challenge. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is very sweet. My mother knew so much poetry and could recite it all from memory.

    Hugs,
    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely. I like that you used a poetry book as your inspiration. We had to learn poems by heart in school as I grew up, but have sadly gotten away from it. This is inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love poetry Hazel and have several poetry books. I love your interpretation of the challenge and that rich red background. I think I got my love of poetry from my mum. She could recite poems she had learned at school when she was very young. Before she died I was staying with her and I got her to recite some of them and I typed them out so that they were not lost. Even in the early stages of Alzheimers she could still recite them. I ope you are doing okay. Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this book from when I was a child, I think an elderly neighbour gave it to us. I love poetry and I remember looking for favourites - I don't recall looking at it that much - preferring a school poetry book! I can still recite certain poems but never thought of using them as a sleep aid! I love your page! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you created for this card and the addition of the book. Thanks so very much for joining us this time Crafty Creations Challenge, Elizabeth (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful card, thanks for joining us at the Dragonfly Dreams.
    Hugs Ilonka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hazel!may pirjo finland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous creation! Thanks for joining us for Week 17 at Gem of a Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great card - I think you've interpreted the theme idea perfectly.

    Thanks for joining us at the Love to Craft Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete